Friday, September 11, 2009

Treasures, Wings (gift ideas for ring bearers and flower girls)

Heidi asked me:

Hey, Just curious if you have any ideas for gifts for the kids in a wedding. We have 2 ring bearers and 2 flower girls that are nieces and nephews and we want to get them something small that doesn't suck.. We talked about finding cool wooden toys that they could keep... but we're just a couple of weeks from the wedding and I don't know when or where we could find them. Any thoughts on a cool alternative?

Since I certainly can't claim to be an expert on kids (I don't hate them, I just don't hang out with them very often) I decided to call in the Kid Whisperer herself: Amanda of First Milk. Below are her lovely suggestions.


In my mind, the best gifts for littles are simple, charming. So. A smattering of small things that do not suck for loving-up flower girls, ring bearers and other tiny guests.


1. Costumes. I buy a lot of these for small friends, and find they lend themselves to whimsy without creating chaos. I've had great success with capes for running fastly in (I like these from Little Adventures) and wings (feathered or fairy) for spinning about as the evening grows dark. And any costume shop should have a good selection of the sorts of hats, crowns, noses and masks that make littles grin.

2. Soothing pretties. For favors homemade and sweet, I direct you to Peonies and Polaroids' gifts for her own tiny wedding guests: A squidgy bunny for the tiniest little, and a sweet, homemade bag with wax crayons and coloring pages for another. If you're not a DIYer, you might find a
jellycat friend, like this junglie spotty giraffe, or a pleasant puppet. Such lovely presents would make me behave splendidly.

3. Treasures in a tin box. Littles love small treasures, and I would wager that a quick trip to your local toy store would turn up all sorts of classic, party-appropriate friends: finger puppets, mustaches, pinwheels and pig noses, bubbles and brave knights. For what is better than a box of treasures for no one but you?


(Image by pfotos)

11 comments:

  1. i second the costume/wings idea. photos from this wedding look so cute and it was a hit with the kids.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12372405@N00/3404573588/in/set-72157601010946783/

    ReplyDelete
  2. brava! beware of tomboys who eschew wings and steal ringbearers' capes: i would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but which does one put on first, A? i'm thinking billowing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those small gifts are perfect. that amanda sure is something else. her ideas made me feel very happy in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this advice is amazing. my little flower girl will thank you. i was actually just wondering what to get them. now on to my one bridesmaid... surely that won't be too hard?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great ideas! These would make great gifts - and even great ideas for a kids' corner/table at a reception!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! You were so sweet to answer my email=).. We'll be sure to send along some photos of said *caped kids*...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I'm sure little kids will totally enjoy with these gift ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cape idea...unfortunately a certain, very thoughtful and clever someone, already bought these for my ring bearer and flower girl. Now that they are fully caped and the inner superhero has been satisfied, what do I do now Amanda?
    Love the other ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tee-hee. Sorry, Lissa! They'd be splendid in wings.

    ReplyDelete