Thursday, June 18, 2009

Practical Wedding Shoes (part three), Or: F* it, stop trying to be practical


The always kick-ass Genevieve ended yesterday's silliness (see parts one and two) with this comment that I cannot resist reposting in full:

A) I just bought those Nine West shoes
(image courtesy of Genevieve) in black and they are so beautiful it makes me SICK. They also have nearly 5" heels, so at 5'10" I am still working up the guts to wear them out. Hey, I DID get them at Buffalo Exchange for like $22 so I justify owning a pair of shoes I may never actually wear. (My husband and I do not see eye to eye on this).

B, and more importantly) The last time (and first time in literally like maybe, I dunno, 6 years? 7?) I bought myself a *new* new pair of shoes was for my wedding, and I cannot stress enough the thrill of opening the box (shoes don't all come from vintage stores? How freaking NOVEL.) and having tissue stuffed in the toes, and that new smell, and knowing that no one else's sweaty toes had sullied my sacred toe space. And I cannot stress enough how furthermore thrilling it was for me to put them on for the first time on my wedding day and being like "NEW SHOES ARE FUN AND GORGEOUS". I tried to wear them out for my bachelorette party but my friends kiboshed that idea and I'm so glad they did. Having new shoes for my wedding day ruled, and I have worn them close to 1000 times since then, with everything from fancy dresses to jeans, so it's not like buying new shoes is crazy and wasteful. It's just special.

THE END!!

p.s. New readers, you can check out G's cool as hell wedding here. Though, sadly, we don't have a close-up of the shoes.

12 comments:

  1. Though, clarification, I never argued it was wastful (why would it be wasteful?) I just said I couldn't find any that go with my dress other than the one's I own, so I have no problem wearing those.

    Seriously, if I could find ones that went, I'd be excited. But I can't, so oh well.

    It's a blush silk dress. NOTHING seems to go. And yeah, it would be special, but sometimes we can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blush silk? Who knew. You definitely need to wear black shoes. See: http://alovelymorning.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-dress-at-alix-kelly-who-i-also-love.html


    And now I will leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rock the tall heels! I loving being obnoxiously tall! also 5'10" with at least 3" heels. love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! My shoes!

    I vote black for a blush dress too (how pretty!). And I was totally not trying to call anyone wasteful but myself, because I had to argue that to myself before buying the wedding shoes...I am, after all, the girl who just admitted to owning a pair of shoes that I don't wear. Yet. Obnoxiously tall, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are really amusing me. Enormously. Blush pink, huh? Black is clearly the cool option. If you want to go for pretty, however, why not a reddish shade of pink? Or pinkish red...

    ReplyDelete
  6. BLACK SHOES. With these earrings:
    http://eastsidebride.blogspot.com/2008/04/im-having-earring-crisis.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is blush silk? a light pink? are there pix of this dress somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think she took it down? The pic wasn't really helpful. "Blush" is so hard to capture. Turns out. (I didn't get blush from the photo.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here you go guys. The sneaky peaky
    http://www.apracticalwedding.com/2009/04/our-wedding-update-dress-arrives.html

    But, I'm a little dubious about black shoes, ouside in the morning in the summer. That's why I'm thinking pink or metallic or some such. Though... I'm nervous about pink, since I'd like to emphaize the off-white quality of the fabric not the light pink quality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I point out that this is tagged "personal" and "thoughts" but not "fashion" or "our wedding"? Was this deliberate? No wonder I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ladies! Help me! I'm an avid reader and you two are freakin hilarious. I want some slammin' shoes for my October Brooklyn Bridge Park wedding and keep coming up empty handed!! a couple of factors: my dress is pearly-opaly-off-white, a sort of 1930s vintage Hollywood throwback. I need to be careful with the heels and the grass and I don't want them to be super tall. but I want them to be hot! any suggestions of where to look?? thanks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mom sent me those black nine wests in a care package. i'm 6'0" in socks, and i wear those fuckers to class. just walk like you knew what you were doing when you put them on-- at that point, you're too tall and badass to be fucked with.

    ReplyDelete